Being Abused at Home

Dear Dee:
My step dad came about three years ago and he constantly shouts and swears at us and puts us down. On top of that, he hits us and kicks us.

I'm terrified of him and what he'll do if I tell. I seriously need help. My mum just sits there and watches. She doesn’t care. My dad is dead. My brothers are all I’ve got. I don’t want to hurt my mum but I want it to stop what can I do?


You have got to get some help. You must talk to an adult you trust right away. Talk to a teacher. Go talk to your school counselor or the school principal or nurse. Go get some help. I am not trained to deal with situations like this, so this is the best advice I can give you … Get help and get it fast.

You don’t deserve to be abused. And you deserve to be safe and secure. Get help right away. Also, take advantage of the hotlines listed here. People on the other end of the phone can get you help and tell you where to go so you and your brothers will be safe.

Please call the hotlines now. I will keep you in my prayers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's just one thing I would like to say to the readers:

Get your advice now while you still can because once you turn 18, people like Dee don't care about you anymore.

I would also like to add that one of the most famous sociologists of all time, Emile Durkhiem discovered that society turning their backs on those who need guidance is the number one cause of suicide.

How's that for food for thought?

kris said...

Dear anonymous,
If your post is "food for thought", then it's surely a meal of mental self-pity.
The difference between being an adult and being a child is that a child has things DONE TO them.
As an adult, you are the one to effect change in your own life. If you do not, you have yourself -not Dee and not society- to blame, despite what Emily Whoever says. We are not entitled to Dee's help: it is a gift, just as we are not entitled to help from "society"-whoever that is-, but welcome it when it comes.

Alex Mosleys said...

Great reading this