Teen Pregnancy Story

By Dee Murray

This isn’t a story that will scare you straight. This isn’t a story that will make you rethink all your priorities.

It’s a story that’ll tell you the realities of teen pregnancy and make you hopefully think twice, before carelessly letting one event change your entire life forever.

This is my story.

Let me preface this by saying outright I am one of the lucky ones. And I realize that. I am not the typical teen pregnancy horror story. I’m just a girl who made a few mistakes, dealt with them and somehow, through grace, lots of help from family and raw determination made it through a better person. And I’ve been lucky enough to have a son who, despite having a young mom who made tons of mistakes, came through it a strong young adult. Yeah. I am a lucky one.

But wait. I’ve already jumped way ahead of myself, haven’t I? Let’s start at the beginning.

He was a varsity basketball player; I was a varsity volleyball player. He was ‘destined’ to attend some fantastically awesome college on scholarship, I wanted to be a lawyer and go to Harvard. But one thing led to another and all hell broke loose – at least in our worlds.

I was a junior at a private, very strict high school, and was pregnant. Letting anyone know would certainly mean being expelled from school and I had a sneaking suspicion my parents would be way pissed. But hey, I could handle that. I had the guy. And as long as we were together, it didn’t matter. But he had a different idea.

I told him about the baby. He broke up with me. His parents sent him away to attend school in another state. And he didn’t fight it at all. He wasn’t interested in being with me, raising the baby or ruining ‘his chances’ at making it big one day.

So then, being 17, without a boyfriend, possibly getting kicked out of school and not knowing what else to do, it was time to go to the parents. My mom actually guessed before I could tell her. She started crying, hugged me tight and said we’d get through it. My dad flew off the handle, stormed out of the house and didn’t come home until late, late that night (he went back to his office). But when he did get home, he came to my room, gave me a huge hug and told me everything would be OK. That he’d take care of me and whomever else came along.

A few days later, the word was out at school and I got called into the principal’s office and expelled immediately. I was forced to empty out my desk in front of my peers and so-called friends (and my little brother) and walk out of the school without finishing my junior year.

Reality sets in here. Goodbye happy life with basketball star. Goodbye standing on the steps of Harvard … and goodbye career in full judicial glory. Hell, at this point, goodbye even graduating high school. I was another statistic. A pregnant teen, destined to depend on mom and dad forever, work somewhere earning minimum wage, no benefits and more than likely with no growth potential … basically, all the negatives everyone says about teen moms, I was then forced to face. And it freaked me out. Let’s not even talk about the fact being pregnant is totally not the best way to continue to do teen-agerish things. No more social life, no more cool clothes (maternity clothes are UGLY) and feeling ‘great’ is difficult when you’re suffering from morning sickness, extreme swelling and even the smell of some foods sends you running to the bathroom to hurl. Oh yeah, then there’s the constant bathroom breaks, the belly the size of about five watermelons and the stretch marks. Not to mention the funny looks someone gives you when they realize you’re a pregnant teen. It’s either ‘the pity look,’ ‘the disgust look’ or the ‘you’re a slut look.’ People judge. It’s a fact.

Mom and dad were great, though. They were encouraging, paid for my prenatal care, even though we didn’t have insurance (so I know it was a hardship) and asked that I figure out how to pay for my hospital care and taking care of the baby once he/she came.

Let’s see: I knew how to cook, clean and I sucked at math. I could basically do … nothing.



So, I mowed lawns on weekends, and worked for my dad during the week. And slowly but surely as the time drew closer to have that baby, I had paid in full the expected hospital bill. No Medicaid, no Medicare, no welfare, no anything. I did it. And I was proud.

Of course there were other mini tragedies in the mix between all this and the day I had the baby. I went to summer school, finished my junior year. I would attend school for my senior year at a neighboring private school once the baby was born. I was rejected by tons of people I thought were my true friends and would always be by my side. But I was embraced by unexpected people who I would’ve thought would be the first to judge. So maybe it evened out.

And then it was time...

My momma took me to the hospital. To the place I should’ve been safe from ridicule and should’ve received compassionate care. But as I got wheeled into the maternity wing, the nurse waiting to help me into the bed said ‘Oh, another teen mom?’ with certain disgust in her voice. 'This has got to stop.'



Amidst the terrible pain of contractions (and let me assure you, it hurts like heck), that instant judgment hurt even more. But when I couldn’t stand up for myself, my mom did. ‘You know, lady,’ she said. ‘This teen mom paid for her own hospital stay, holds a steady job AND went to summer school so she could graduate in May. So don’t you look at her or talk to her like that. She deserves your respect.’

Thanks, mom.

Twelve hours later, David Mitchell was born: 8 pounds, 22 inches long and these terribly long fingers. When I saw him, the first thing I said was literally ‘Momma, look. He has a basketball player’s hands.’ (I swear this is true.)

And thus, I made it through being a pregnant teen. Now, I was a teen mom. And this opened up a ton of other harsh realities. Midnight feedings, dirty diapers, non-existent dating life, trying to find money to buy diapers, pay the rent and even fill the car up with gas. The list can go on and on. But enough about me, right? My story is almost happy!

It almost doesn’t even sound like teen pregnancy is that bad. I was to get out on my own, eventually go to college and land a great job. But I am the exception, not the rule. Most girls aren’t as lucky as me. And instead of coming through all this a stronger, better person they end up as a statistic.

And being a statistic doesn’t allow you to become the strong, independent person you were born to be. It doesn’t allow you to meet your potential and it most definitely doesn’t allow you to be the best parent you can be.


The facts prove it:
-- 4 in 10 girls will experience at least one pregnancy before reaching age 20.
-- Less than 1/3 of teens who become pregnant before age 18 complete high school.
-- Every year around 750,000 teenagers will get pregnant.
-- 80% of the fathers of babies born to teen mothers do not marry their babies' mothers.
-- On average, these absent fathers pay less than $800 annually for child support.
-- The sons of teen mothers are 13% more likely to end up in prison.
-- Teen mother’s daughters are 22 percent more likely to become teen moms.
-- 52% of all mothers on welfare had their first child while in their teen years.
-- Teen moms are less likely to receive well-paying jobs that allow them career growth.
-- 48% of all non-marital births are to teen-aged mothers.

-- Only 30% of teen moms stay married to their baby’s fathers after the child is born.
-- Moms who had a pre-marital, teen-aged birth are significantly less likely to be married by the age of 35 than those who don’t have babies as teens.
-- Each year the federal government spends $40 billion to help families that began with a teenage birth.
-- Only 1.5% of teen moms will earn a college degree by age 30.
-- Nearly 80% of unmarried teen mothers end up on welfare.


So what's the bottom line here? Don't be a stat. Don't be another one of those girls people feel sorry for. Don't make a passionate decision that could have consequences that are anything but romantic. Seriously. This is your life. And when you do bring children into this world, you want to do it right and at a time when you can provide, love and care for them just like every sweet little baby deserves.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did this happen to you? Wow, I hope I never become a pregnant teen. My 'rents would probably shoot me... I am 11 right now though I hope I'll never give in to peer presure!

Anonymous said...

wow, i know i wouldnt give into peer presure since i have my plan figured out for me after high school and since it involves getting a PhD i cant afford getting pregnant as a teenager. it shows how teen pregnancy effects your life so thanks for sharing this story.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Wow, that's a lot to go through. Thanks for sharing, I'll keep that in mind, but I'm gay so I think I'm pretty safe. :P On a more serious note though, way to pull through that,'kudos' to you. :)

Anonymous said...

Thats really great. Spread it around and let the after life be known to the teens and give them hope if they are really bad. God bless you and your kid.

ng2000 said...

Valuable resource of teen pregnancy news summaries: http://ng2000.com/ng2000bb/YaBB.pl?num=1221461301

Anonymous said...

This is an incredible story and I have promised myself to never become a teenage mom. I am still a tween and have my mind set on college and nothing is getting in my way of my dreams EVER! Being able to stick up for yourself is one of the greatest characteristics anyone could dream for.

Anonymous said...

Wow...one wat an asshole for ditching you. two obviously he looks like his dad. three if u seriously didnt want the kid you could of got an abortion.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing how you got through that! :) It's sad how more and more teens are becoming pregnant :(

Anonymous said...

i think you are an amazing and strong person for getting through all of this at age 17. I'm 18 and know enough girls who would have simply gotten an abortion and no one would have known. You are an inspiring person and a great mom :)

Morgan said...

My name is Morgan, I am 18, and ive been reading your blog for a few years now.

It is impossibly hard for me not to cry right now. Im at that scary stage where im researching every posibility and stressing over something that i thought would never happen to me.

I am 18, and there is a huge possibility I am pregnant.

I know you didnt intend it this way, to scare the crap out of me or anyone else, but after coming here to read your advice for so long, i thought it was time for me to read your story one more time...I dont want to be a statistic Dee. I dont want to be that girl, i dont want to be left alone (even though my boyfriend is constantly reassuring me when i worry senslessly about being pregnant that 'no matter what' he'll be there...)

Im in a fragile mental state, and if i do turn out to be pregnant, im not sure exactly what ill do. My mom says she'll be with me for whatever i decide, be it keeping the baby, giving it away, or even aborting it...im still so scared.

I am so proud of you, Dee, I hope that doesn't sound mean. But I am. i am glad there are women out there like you who beat the statistics and proved them wrong. Im glad you have a healthy son and that you've got a good job to keep you both happy.

I hope you have a fantastic life, Dee, after how many people you've helped.

I hope that, if i do turn out pregnant, that i can have some measure of a life like yours.

Thanks,
Morgan

aerieldannar said...

Wow Dee your a good person though I know it and my Dad even told me so. Im 20 now and Im happy I didnt get pregnant at a young age I was very careful but now im in love and getting married here pretty soon which is awesome to say! I have a step daughter though and her Dad and Mom had her when they were both 16 so they know exactly how you feel and what you had to go through. But your a strong person and your son is very lucky to have you as his mother. You showed how to be strong and how to just keep fighting and never give up and go for what he is good at and be smart. Your a wonderful mom

_smashlii said...

This is a great story, I'm 17 years old just found out I was pregant yesterday. It's my ex boyfriends, I told him an he's denying it calling me a slut, saying I slept around an not to call him again , I'm in love with him. I'm six weeks an a day, I'm not really sure what to do, I'm completely against abortion, either keep it or adoption. My mom passed away, I don't have a job. I'm a senior in high school, with pretty decent grades. If you could please contact me somehow, an just give me some support . I'd really appreciate it .. Www.facebook.com/Ashli.x3

Anonymous said...

This has helped me believe I won't be a statistic. I'm 19 just found out I'm pregnant today. I'm lucky that my boyfriend took the news very well and we are determined to work through it. We both have full time jobs, him in construction and me in hairstyling. I know that most people in this situation don't have that sort of benefit. And I know people get by on much worse circumstances. Most stories I've read end sadly but it's nice to hear a positive story. It gives me hope. Thank you

Janelle said...

I am 16 and Pregnant.

I hope to be one of the "lucky" ones as you were. I am scared about telling my mom and dad about this, and what would happen next. I really dont know how this is going to turn out but, i know im keeping my baby. Your story has inspired me not to give up on myself and complete school no matter how long it takes, i am going to do all it takes to give my baby a great life. Thank You, for this story.

Anonymous said...

That's good!
I actually wanted to tell the nurse another thing: 'Actually, it's better for a pregnant teen giving birth than a pregnant teen who didn't give birth.'
Proud of you girl!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is a great story! I'm fourteen, a freshman, and my boyfriend is seventeen and he WOULD be in eleventh but he dropped out. I might be pregnant..and I'm terrified. He isn't gonna leave me, and hopefully it stays that way.
Much love xoxox ~BamBam

Anonymous said...

That is a HORRID thing to say!! Why would you get an abortion just because the dad left?! Yeah, its hard but damn sure worth it!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......Nice post Dude keep it up.
You can follow this link and get more huge funny and interesting yo mama jokes

http://www.yomamajokeshub.com

Anonymous said...

did you ever find out if youre pregnant ?