Jocks Are Smart, Too!

Dear Dee:
I am a jock. I am proud to admit it. I play baseball and football and am excellent at both. Call me conceited, but it's true. But the thing is, I am really smart, too. I make the honor roll all the time, I get great grades and all my friends and family know me for is my athletics. They don't praise my academics. ... While I know I can thrive playing sports, I also know I really don't have a future in it and my brain is what's going to get me into college. How can I make everyone understand there are many different things I am good at and I want to be recognized for all of it?


You don't very often hear of a jock whining because he's a jock and wants to get recognized for his strong academic standings ... so I am slightly amused. But of course I am ready and willing to help you with your most serious predicament.

And what is that predicament, exactly? Seems to me you're the all-American guy. You have the looks (I assume), you have the athletic talent, and you have the brains. So maybe it would be better if you didn't whine about the fact your peers and the adults around you are so psyched about your athletic achievements. Maybe you should take it in stride, enjoy the ride and keep up the great work. You're the full package, honey, and it's rare. You're extremely lucky, and complaining about it almost makes it seem like you don't appreciate the gifts you have.

When the time comes, those around you will recognize you for the accomplishments you've made, whether it is the NBA or med school, and take both brains and smarts. Come to think of it, the fact you're successful at baseball and football speaks volumes for your smarts, as both games are extremely strategic and require quick reflexes and calculated thinking. So in a way, your admirers are paying homage to your smarts already.

Anyway, what else is there to say? Enjoy the praise while it lasts, keep up the excellent work and don't forget to be thankful for what you have -- because not many are as lucky as you.

No comments: