On Again, Off Again Relationships

Dear Dee:
My girlfriend and I constantly break up and then get back together. Is it a sign she doesn't like me or what? Should I break up with her? Please tell me what I should do.


Some relationships just go through phases where breakups and makeups are kinda the point.

Of course, sometimes that gets very tiring. So now it's time to evaluate what the underlying cause is behind the relationship rollercoaster. Some of it is really just relationship immaturity, and selfishness on the breaker-upper’s part (so not a word, but it’s funny). "You don’t think the sky is blue? Well, I’m breaking up with you."

It’s a power play to establish she or he is in charge and controls the destiny of the relationship.

If this is what she’s doing, does it mean she doesn’t like you? No. It just means she doesn’t really know how to have a relationship. I say give it to her straight. Tell her you really like her and want to continue dating, but you can’t deal with the emotional stress of breaking up for three hours and then getting back together. You’re either a couple or you’re not. It's that simple. If she can’t fully commit, then most definitely dump her if your idea of a relationship is different than hers. After all, what’s the fun in making up, if you’re just gonna break up again? (Lips get tired too, you know.)

No comments: