Late Bloomer

Dear Dee:
I am a freshman in high school and I still haven't started my period. I'm a late bloomer. It's actually REALLY embarrassing. I was thinking, what if I start my period during class or during school, and I don't notice it, and it's all over my pants or something. I really need advice on this. What would I do? How can I notice it? What if someone tells me? All these things are nerve-wracking.


I know EXACTLY how you feel. As much of a nuisance as your period will be to you one day, it is no fun to feel like you are the last one in the crowd to get something, even if it IS a visit from Aunt Flow. You may not believe it, but you are perfectly normal. Many girls don't get their periods even until their mid-teens, not to discourage you. If you are physically active, that can also delay your period. Talk to your mom if your worries are starting to dominate your thoughts -- maybe she will share her own experience with you.

When your period does come -- and trust me, it will –- it will probably be very light at first. You will probably first notice it when you go to the bathroom. If you are really worried about it, just make sure you pay close attention each time you go. You could also wear panty-liners. They aren't enough to contain a full period, but it would definitely catch something in the early stages, and they aren't bulky like maxi pads, so you won't even notice they are there. Hang in there. It will come!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm in the same situation! my mom and sisters were 12 and I'm 15! it gets embarrassing though. i was at a routine check up for basket ball with my GUY doctor and my mom brought it up! i was so embarrassed and they asked me about everything, and i mean everything..... man. i would've done anything NOT to be there.

Anonymous said...

omg! me 2! my mom did that!

Anonymous said...

I completely know how you feel. I'm 15 and I'm going to be a sophomore in highschool when school starts up again and I still haven't had my period either. My mom started when she was 12, but I didn't even begin to go through any changes until I was 12 and a half! You're not alone, just try to hang in there, and I will too. And that happened to me too! I went to get a physical for tennis and my mom brought up the subject too...with my guy doctor! Yeah, it was embarassing. Well good luck everyone!

Anonymous said...

omg Ya. I'm 12 and the doctor brought it up HERSELF!! she wanted to look places but i drew the line lol. I was reallly embarrassed.