Friends Say to Break Up

Dear Dee:

I'm dating this girl but I recently moved to a different state. We're still dating and we communicate using AIM and online games and the phone. She tells me people are telling her she should break up with me and I'm being told that by my friends, too. Even my mom said I should. So what's your opinion?

I personally don't care if she gives in and breaks up with me. I'll just move on with my life. But on the other hand, I do love her and don't want to break up.


Well, I have a hard time believing you're as cold about this relationship as you say you are -- especially since you said you love her. I imagine you WOULD care very deeply if she decided to give in to her friends' advice. And hey, it's OK if you admit that!
Anyway, you two have to stop listening to other people and listen to each other. Long-distance relationships are really, really hard. And they aren't any easier when friends and others start weighing in on what you should do. So, listen to their advice, but realize that this decision is yours, and you're the one who has to live with it.
Some people are great at the long-distance thing. Some relationships can withstand the miles and are strong enough to see beyond that and look to the future. Is yours? Only the two of you can decide.
This will just take you guys really digging in and talking about it. Don't say "my friend says this or my mom said that." Talk about what you're feeling and what she is feeling. It may be that you both can mutually decide to stay great friends, but see other people for awhile. It may be you decide to stick it out and remain together. It's also possible you decide to part ways entirely.
The bottom line is, cut out the middleman here. You need to listen to her and she needs to listen to you. Then you can make a decision on what you guys want. Not because others are telling you to.

No comments: