BF Doesn't Get Momma's Stamp of Approval

Dear Dee:
This guy that I am in love with, told me he still loves me but won't go out with me because he dislikes my mom. We went out before, but my mom didn't let me see him so he dumped me. He told me he would ask me out again when everything calmed down a bit. Now he barely even talks to me. What do I do to get him back?

Before you make any efforts to get this guy back, your first order of business is to find out why your mother doesn't like this him. She could see something or feel something you're not realizing. It's really important you hear her out and try to understand her reasoning. Then, you can talk to her about your feelings and see if you can change her mind. Maybe you can suggest you invite him over so your mom can spend some time seeing what kind of young man he is. In turn, this would allow you to observe him a little more closely too ... maybe the reason your momma doesn't like him would jump out at you.

Now, keep in mind here, you're asking your mother to treat you with respect and as a young adult. So when you talk to her, make sure you show her the respect she deserves as your momma. If you want to get straight answers from her, you have to show her you can handle them and are old enough to hear her out -- even if you don't agree. She's still the authority in your life and you have to honor that.

If your mom changes her mind, and you still want to date this guy, play it right. It's possible, with the time passed, he's moved on. And if he has, honor that and see if he comes back around. But if he is still interested, talk to him about not holding a grudge against your mother, etc. And how you expect him to treat her right -- regardless of the past.

This is probably all you can do at this point. Don't chase after him. If things don't work out right now, maybe they will later -- or maybe he's just the wrong guy for you right now. Understand, I am sure your momma has your best interests at heart and she definitely wants what's best for you. ... and in her mind, maybe he's just not it.

No comments: