Change of Scenery Scary for Small Town Girl

Dear Dee:
I've recently found out I'm moving. But you see, I've lived here my whole life and I'll be leaving everything; My friends I grew up with, my mom, step dad, my little brother and my boyfriend. And to add on to all of that, I've lived in a small town all my life with no malls or big cities or anything.

So moving to a bigger place with people I don't know will be a dramatic change for me. And I'll be attending my first year of high school there. Scary stuff! Being a shy person, I hope I don't have much trouble meeting new people. But will I be accepted?

You're right! This is way scary. And it most definitely won't be easy. But if you think of it as an adventure -- a chance to broaden your horizons, then you can get through it.

This doesn't mean you forget where you came from or those who are important to you -- it means you embrace your new opportunities and turn your fear into a chance to kinda remake yourself.

Do you have things you wish your entire town didn't know about you? Do you have some stuff you wish your friends didn't know? Well, a new city is a clean slate and a chance to reinvent yourself. Doesn't mean you don't stay true to your roots, just means you use this opportunity to look at yourself and make a few changes.

Now, up until the time you leave, enjoy your friends. Spend time with the family you're leaving behind and make some memories to carry with you. Don't mope around and waste away your time worrying about the future. Just live in the moment and enjoy.

Then, when it is time to go, say your goodbyes, keep in touch and appreciate the fact you have your friends from your past to keep you grounded, and your friends in your new place to help you make adjustments and get used to a new place.

You will be accepted. Especially if you don't act like the mopey new girl -- but a girl who is excited to move on, and make new friends.

So get out there. Have fun ... and then, move on and make some new friends & have new adventures.

No comments: