'Degrassi' Dreams & a Dose of Reality

Dear Dee:
Have you ever wanted something so bad, you would try to do it even though you were specifically told not to? Well, I want to be an actress on TV.

It's always been my dream to be famous, ever since I could speak. And, the first time I ever saw,
Degrassi: The Next Generation, I fell in love with it. I really love that show and it thought it would be so amazing if I could be on it. I heard they have auditions for roles openly during the seasons when needed, but I've also heard rumors they have already filmed their last season. Do you have to be like, unbelievably amazing? I don't know if I will ever be on the show, but it won't hurt to try right? And even if my chances aren't that high, i won't give up. And one more thing...if I can still go for my dream when my chances are one to a million, why can't they bend the rules just a little for a good actress?

Hey, never ever give up on your dreams. And from the sound of your enthusiasm above, I think you already know that. What you have to do though, is understand there is a time and a place for everything. Right now, there are other things you need to focus on -- getting through school, getting other things in motion in your life. These will help you in the long run to achieve your acting aspirations.

'Degrassi' is a great show -- but you know what? It's time is coming to an end! Don't you want to be involved in a project that's new, fresh and exciting? Something that hasn't been done before? How about you set your sights on doing all you can to be the best actress you can be. Study. Watch. Listen. Learn. You very well could be the next big thing ... but you have to wait until the time is right.

If acting is your passion and your true goal in life, then prepare yourself. So you can't make auditions for 'Degrassi' in Canada ... so what. Enjoy the show. Study the other actors and actresses on it, get more inspiration from watching them and pick up on what makes them good characters, bad characters and just mediocre ones. Dive into your craft.

Use this time, when your parents aren't to hyped up on you auditioning, etc to show them how dedicated you are -- that it's not just a phase for you. Let them know, through diligent work in school and keeping up with what you need to at home, that you can handle responsibility and you're willing to shoulder what taking on a career like this entails.

It won't happen overnight. Parents don't deliberately mean to hurt us by not supporting our 'celebrity' dreams. They want us be realistic and gravitate towards more traditional pursuits. And that's fine! Parents just don't want us to be disappointed! But if those of us who take that doubt, do what we have to do and still stay true to our passions who succeed at our dreams. Hold on to that and show your parents you have what it takes. Keep it real, be responsible and show them you mean business. They'll get on board soon enough and be extra proud of you for staying true to your heart.

Good luck and I hope, when you're on TV someday, you'll remember me ... I would love an autographed picture (that's 'Dee' with two e's. ...).

No comments: