Sophomore Wants to Stop Missing Out

Dear Dee:
I'm a sophomore at my school right now and the summer is quickly approaching. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of experiences I could be having, that would eventually make me a better person. I have never really been in any kind of relationship, although people tell me I'm pretty all the time and guys sometimes look at me interested, I'm never approached. I thought it was mostly because of my height (I'm 5'10) that makes me a little intimidating but I'm thinking that it might be something completely different.


It pains me I never have the courage to just strike up a conversation with guys I like. I feel like they maybe think I'm not interested in them because of my own fears and complexities.

Thanks for your time! I love your blog :)

The first step to overcoming a fear is recognizing it -- and you've done that. Talking to guys, especially when you feel self-conscious about yourself (your height) is so difficult -- and can seem impossible! But, I am here to tell you it's not.

Even though you don't feel confident and brave, you don't have to let guys know it. Fake your way through it until you convince yourself you can do it. Just hold your head up high, walk slowly and deliberately over to the guy in question and just say 'hey, how's it goin.'

It'll turn out great sometimes -- and others, it'll be a bust -- but it's worth it! You'll learn what works for you and you'll start to let your guard down a little. If you really dug deep into people, you'd find those of us who are extremely self-confident make a career of faking our way through it. Yeah, we have confidence -- but we don't always feel it. We just know how to channel our energies into conquering those situations we feel we don't have power over.

In your case, you feel your insecurities and fears are so obvious, guys shy away from you. So, it's time for you to reign those feelings in a little and realize you have a lot going for you!

5'10" is a fantastic height. It's sexy, it's sultry and it's model-perfect. There isn't a single thing you can do about your height, so use it to your advantage. Don't hang your head or hide your face when you walk by a guy you like. Strut your stuff! Hold your head up and own it, girl! Guys are attracted to girls who are confident, yet approachable. And with a few adjustments, you can get there.

You're already feeling like you're missing out -- and knowing this is one of the most important tools needed to fix the problem. So stop missing out and determine within yourself you're gonna enjoy your last few years in high school. You can do it! I know it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know how she feels. I'm 15 and 5' 10" It's a weird height . And guys never come up to me. But I see them looking. Guys are funny creatures. lol