She's Worried About Regaining Weight Lost

Dear Dee:

I'm 15 years old and I recently lost a lot a weight on a healthy eating plan. I got down to a weight I was happy with and was able to maintain for a few months, through eating healthily- although I was very strict on myself. For the past few weeks however, I have reoccurringly been overeating the types of food I would usually avoid.

I can't seem to control myself and am afraid I am going to put on all the weight I have worked so hard to lose. I have no idea what has triggered this! I don't feel like I can talk to anyone as I naturally like to keep myself to myself but this is really getting me down. Please help me to get back on track!

All I can do is encourage you to keep your goals in mind and to remember how you felt when you were overweight. Those feelings alone, should be enough to keep you on the right track. But if they're not, you need to get yourself an accountability partner.

Whether it be a friend or a family member, find someone who can help you stay on the right track when it comes to your eating habits. This makes keeping yourself to yourself pretty difficult, but it's essential. Sometimes, the things we really want to succeed at, we have to have a support group around us to help keep us on task. This is important and doesn't mean you can't handle it -- it just means you're taking your accountability to another level.

Every single person who has ever been on a diet will tell you there are times when you stray from your eating plan. And it's OK as long as you realize your limits and don't overdo it. Extra helpings, a candy bar, etc every now and then aren't going to hurt you. But if you can't control yourself, then you need to be careful. Don't do this alone. I fear if you do, you'll end up in literally, the same shape you used to be in.

PS -- glad to hear you're following a healthy eating plan.

No comments: