Lil' Sib Misses 'Great Big Sis I Used to Have'

Dear Dee:
My sister is the worst. She is always saying she will kill me . I know she's just joking around , but I want the old, great sis I used to have.

As siblings grow up, it's been my experience they do change and start treating each other differently. Especially when they get into the teen years. But hey, you can get through it!

Understand your sister is going through a lot of changes (and so are you). And try to help her through those by giving her some space and maybe not antagonizing her as much or teasing her. Since you don't give much detail as to how your relationship used to be, I can only guess she was great to you when you were younger and she didn't consider you an 'annoying little brother.' (I can say that, because I have three of them!)

So, are you doing anything that makes her rant or makes her mean? Are you being sensitive to the space she needs? And lastly, are you still showing her you like spending time with her and hanging out with her?

As sisters get older, it's hard to still get the quality time with them because friends come into the picture, but if you do your best to just hang out, let her know you love her and just wanna be with her, then she might soften up.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think her change in treatment of you is your fault. I think it's her just growing up. You do need to tell her it hurts your feelings to have her, even jokingly say she's 'gonna kill you' (not to mention, that in today's day and age, when brothers and sisters do actually kill each other sometimes it's just not a good thing to say). Let her know how much you love her and idolize her ... and most of all, tell her you're watching her because she's your hero.

Hang in there. And do all you can to help your sister and try to understand what she's going through. Because when it's your turn to go through all the same junk, she'll be supportive of you, too.

No comments: