Saying 'Yes' Then Telling Mom & Dad

Dear Dee:
If a guy asked me out and I said yes, I wouldn't know how to tell my parents.

If I didn't tell them, they would find out anyway and I don't want them angry at me. How do I tell them? This guy I liked asked me to go out with him but I didn't say anything. How do I say yes?

Lastly, I don't know if he likes me or not because the guys in my school dare people to go out with people. I asked him if he liked me, but he didn't say anything. How do I find out if he likes me?


Before you are in a situation where you have to tell your parents you have a boyfriend, it might be a good idea to go ahead and talk to them beforehand, and find out what their rules/expectations are. Then at least you'd know where you stand and what your obstacles are.

While you're having this chat with your parents, make sure you take on an attitude that is respectful of what they have to say and lets them know you're ready to handle having a boyfriend. Ask them to consider compromises if you don't agree with what they're saying and offer up suggestions.

For instance, if they say you can't go out with a guy on a date, maybe suggest group dates of four or more people. Another solution might be asking him to your house for a movie night. (And make your parents promise not to hover or embarrass you ...)

Since you don't state your age, it's hard for me to suggest more than that, but the most important thing is to be honest with your parents and do all you can to stay within their guidelines. Dating takes responsibility -- and if you have to break their rules to even have a boyfriend, then you're peddling backward in earning their trust. And that does NOTHING in advancing your cause.

In regard to knowing if this guy really likes you or whether he was dared to ask you out, rely on your gut on this one. If he won't give you a straight answer, read his body language. Then decide if he's not telling you because he's shy or because he was really dared. You'll probably be able to tell. You just have to be OK with finding out the truth.

Oh, and if he was dared and asked you out because of it, brush it off and don't worry about it. That fact alone shows HE is not old enough to handle dating and SO doesn't deserve you.

No comments: