Big Decision ... Is It the Right One?

Dear Dee:

I recently made a really big decision. I've decided to put college on hold and work. My parents aren't too happy about it, but I feel like I have to do this. I have three siblings and they are all younger than I am.
I understand my parents need to do for them more than for me. I should be taking care of myself and not depending on my parents. So, am I making the right decision or a really big mistake?


So are you saying you made this decision because you don't want your parents to have to support you through college? Are you saying your plan is to work and save for it yourself?
I think that is very admirable. But I can definitely see your parents' point of view, too. A lot of people who say they're just ‘putting college on hold' don't actually end up ever going. The time just never seems right. Life happens. I think your parents are of the mind that once you start working, move out and are taking care of yourself, you'll eventually be completely out from under their influence and college won't be in the picture anymore.
They want you to go while there is this break in your life, when it's the most logical step and the timing is right. They want you to go when they can actually help you through it. As you get older and your siblings get older, of course going back to school gets more and more difficult.
Of course the final decision to attend or not attend college is yours. Quite a few high school seniors aren't ready for college when they first graduate, and they take a year off. So it's not unheard of. The question is, what are your real reasons for waiting? Do you want to go later? Is college something you value as important to what you're becoming and what you want to do with your life?
Think through all these things if you haven't already. And if you are just delaying your attendance in college, then make a commitment to yourself now that you will go. You'll save up the money, take help from your parents and get the most out of it that you can.
If you don't want to go to college, make sure you understand what your options are for jobs, future advancement and career paths. Maybe look at trade schools or short training courses. And regardless of what you do, know your parents love you and just want the best for you. It is a simple, unwavering truth.

No comments: