When Dorky Friends Keep You From Being Cool

Dear Dee:
There is this group of popular girls at my school. I really want to hang out with them. But I'm with this one group of girls who are my best friends and I like hanging out with them but they are kind of dorky and geeky. I want to be popular but that won't happen anytime soon. So should I try and get my friends to be popular or should I just let them be themselves?
Also, these two girls in my group always wear their hair the same: high pigtails with like four different braids on each side. How can I get them to wear their hair in different styles too?


This is a tough one. I know how important it is to be popular in school, and being rejected by the popular kids really sucks. But besides being popular, what is it about this group that makes you want to be one of them? Are they smart? Are they funny (without making fun of others)? Are they compassionate? Are their actions those that you admire and want to copy?
If the answer to these questions is yes, then maybe you can study more, learn a few jokes, and practice random acts of kindness. If they are good people, they will recognize your qualities and make you part of their group. If, however, you find yourself searching for a REAL reason (besides just being popular) that you want to be friends with them, I suggest you take another look at the friends you have now and appreciate the things about them that make them your friends. And, as you said, "let them be themselves.” True friends are your friends because they have good qualities, not just because they’re at the top of an often arbitrary totem pole.
P.S. You could always give them some fashion magazines. Maybe they will get a few ideas. Don’t make it obvious, though. Say something like, “I had this magazine but I’m done with it. Would you like it?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm rather the attractive type and like you, I really liked being with the popular people but DON'T TRY IT!

Ok i know eveyrone wants to be one of the 'it' group members.
I was part of them after going out with a hottie but I don't get along with them because i'm different.

I have a different style. You can say you have the same taste as them but it's not that easy. They'll just treat you as a weirdo. For you to be part of them will depend on your natural personality. If you're not on the same line as them mentally and physically, you're dead.

Try your luck tho but you might realise you'll end up not having any friends left.