Livin' It Up in High School ...Now Study Time

Dear Dee:
OK I'm not a freshman anymore. I am 16 years old and I have done just about everything a person can possibly do in high school. I am a cheerleader. I have great friends. And in my 10th grade year, I dated a senior star football player. Don't get me wrong, all of that was good but while all this was going on I kinda skipped out on trying to get good grades. Now I am older and wiser and I really want to get into a good college so what should I do? Not going to college is TOTALLY NOT AN OPTION! I already know that I just should do better but I only have 2 years left so will it be enough?

So you're older and wiser ... hum. Sounds like this is the year you just came off of -- so don't really know how much older you are since you have two years of school left -- but does sound like you're a little wiser ... but only time will tell.

Does sound like you have a lot going for you and have made the most of your high school experience from a social perspective. But unless you want to be that girl at the high school reunion 10 years from now, who was ALL THAT AND MORE in school, but doesn't amount to much now, you've got to get in gear. Studying has got to be your priority and good grades most definitely count.

If you really put your nose to the grindstone your last two years, you can turn things around. See, what you need is balance. You went to the extreme your freshman and sophomore years and didn't strike even keel between social life and school -- you just went social-lite crazy! So, now instead of going to the opposite extreme, set up a schedule and make sure your activities and study time stay balanced.

Where school is concerned, all work and no play may get you great grades, but it robs you of key experiences. Taking time to be social and have fun in the midst of maintaining your academics will help you become more well-rounded and you won't burn out on studying. You'll stay refreshed and in the long run, will perform much better on tests, etc.

So yes. You know what you have to do. Buckle down. Now, you just have to do it. Remember your goals. I agree with you -- in this day and age, it just isn't overly possible to be successful without a college degree. So keep looking at the big picture when your friends invite you out when you need to study for a test ... Being the responsible girl now will help you become the 'WOW' girl at your reunion and that's much better than the other type described.

No comments: