Secret Crush Is Also My Friend

Dear Dee:
Hey, I love this site, it's my homepage!

I've been going through a hard time in my life and this site has helped me realize that my life isn't the worst it can be. But now I have a simple teen-age problem.

I've liked this guy since the moment I meet him and we instantly became friends. A while ago, he told me he doesn't like me, jokingly. I told a few friends I like him and yesterday one approached him with: I heard you like (insert my name here). He shrugged and said, "I just don't know anymore. We're friends, but you know."

I was thrilled when I heard this, but he doesn't know I know. In the class we have together, I sit next to him, but he's not his normal friendly-flirty self for the past two weeks. He's shyer and almost afraid to talk to me, if I'm not talking to him first.

He isn't like this around any other of his friends, including girl ones.

Does this mean he has feelings for me, he doesn't want to be my friend anymore, or am I just reading into it too much? Thanks so much, cause I am completly lost (even worse than the show)!

Major props to you for making 'Dear Dee' your homepage! Thanks for that. If you could see me, you'd see this huge grin ... (and you'd see me eating a Watermelon Jolly Rancher ... my favorite.)

ANYWAY, someone else's emotions are just too hard to try to read ... so instead of guessing, you need to just find out what's up. And since he's your good friend and his behavior towards you has changed, you have an easy in for the conversation.

Ask him what's going on. Tell him you've noticed a change and you want to know if you've done anything or if there's anything you can help him out with -- because, of course, that's what friends do!

More than likely, he'll tell you nothing's wrong and he's all good ... but tell him you know him too well and you've noticed he's treating you differently. Then kinda just wait. See if he shrugs it off or says something that leads you to reveal you like him. If he doesn't, just continue to be his friend. Don't push it. See what happens. He might be a little conflicted right now and you don't want to come off as desperate or fishing for info. So, playing it cool is most definitely the way to go.

I know it's easier and less embarassing to find out info about your crush from others, but it really isn't reliable and wouldn't you much rather find out personal info from the source instead of getting it second or third hand? You don't need your friends teasing him or trying to find out things he's not ready to reveal. He doesn't need the pressure -- and it could easily turn him off. So take matters into your own hands and you'll get results. ...

When it comes to crushes, being in control is a GREAT thing ... so take charge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in the same situation.
I had a friend who i had a crush on and out of the blue he became really distant and hardly spoke unless i did first.
Guys are confusing...
I would rather risk my feelings than my friendship. It means A LOT to me...
So i just hope he will come back to his original behavior.

Mickayla said...

My friend's like this. We met when we were both 7 years old. We were good and normal friends for about 2 or 3 months. Then, out of the blue, he became nervous and kinda acted weird around me. He seemed to be kinda embarrassed by having me as a friend when anyone mentioned it. It was really weird. I really like him and we hang out all the time. He's home-schooled, though. We talk quite a bit over the phone and through text/email, and he always seems nervous and he stutters, and when he's with his other friends (including the female ones), he's not nervous and doesn't stutter at all. It's weird and he's so awkward. I don't want to ask him if he likes me, and I don't want to ask my friends to ask him (not only cause they don't know him that well, but it would be pressurizing, as you stated). I honestly don't know what to do, either.