The Short and Tall Dilemma

Dear Dee:
At my school, I am a shorter, smaller girl and all my friends are taller than me.

The problem is I really like this guy who is really tall and hot, but I'm afraid he won't like me because I'm smaller. He's already my friend, but I don't know. I also sort of like another boy, but the tall guy; I like him more.

People call me short just teasing, but I don't care. I wish I was taller sometimes so I wouldn't be afraid to do stuff like that. What should I do? Please help me! I really like this guy.

It is seriously not a big deal you're not taller -- girls generally aren't towering over all the guys in their class. And you know what, most really tall guys really like shorter girls. Seriously.

I have two cases in point: I had a boyfriend who was 6'11" and I am 5'6" ... he was WAY taller than I am. Second case in point: I know a 6'7" guy who's dating a 5'2" girl ... So do not be self-conscious about your height. Spend your time getting comfortable with yourself and investing in friendships. Don't worry about trivial things like height differences ... dwelling over something you have no control over will just set you back in finding out if this guy likes you AND will make you miss out on a whole bunch of fun stuff in life.

By the way, here are just some quick fashion tips to help accentuate the body you have and make you appear taller ...

-- Opt for a monochromatic outfit.
-- Add contrast color or texture with a blazer, cardigan or overshirt.
-- Leave the blazer or cardigan unbuttoned for maximum vertical lines.
-- Any stripes on the garment should be vertical.
-- Choose scarves tied loosely with long, vertical dangling ends.
-- Avoid big belts, which can cut you in half visually.
-- Use long necklaces or pendants and avoid chokers.
-- Wear skirts that are longer than they are wide.
-- Choose shoes with at least an inch heel: the taller the better.
-- Elongate the neck with V-necks.
-- If you are petite (5'3" or under) make sure you scale everything down : smaller prints, pockets, etc. so they don't overpower your figure.
-- Don't make the mistake of going for all long pieces. Go for contrasting proportions. Mix a longer jacket with a shorter skirt, shorter jacket with pants, etc.

Tips taken from
"How To Look Taller and Slimmer"
By Cynthia Nellis, About.com

No comments: