Church Girl Wants to Ask Out Church Boy

Dear Dee:
Hey, I need help. I am trying to ask a boy from church out and I am too shy to ask him. I like this boy very much and I don't have the guts to talk to him. What do I do?


Wow. I know all about those church boys. And I definitely know what it's like to crush on one of em (or two, or three, or four ...). But back to your issue ...

Since you're a church-going girl, let's use a Bible story to set the stage for what you can do. Esther (one of my favorites, for many, many reasons). Now granted, Esther's situation was more dire than yours -- if she approached the king without being invited in, she could be killed. But, she knew it had to be done. She knew she had to be strong. So, she did what she had to do and ended up saving her people for it.

So how does this even remotely compare to asking a church boy out? Don't worry ... I'm getting there. Esther had to be strong. She had to swallow her fear and she just did it. Think of the pressure she felt! Think of the fear! Her entire nation was weighing on her shoulders.

Now perspective ...You going up to a guy and asking him if he'd like to hang out, or even just sit and talk with you doesn't seem so difficult, does it? So just do it. Swallow that fear, square your shoulders back and walk right up to that third-row pew he's sitting in and ask him out for coffee, a soda or whatever.

You don't have to blurt out you want to date him. Talk to him. Test the waters. Get to know him and see what happens. One thing you find out, when you date church guys, is since you're only with them a few hours a week at church, they're not always all they're cracked up to be. See, a lot of people put on a different face at church. It's sad, but true. So get to know him and see what happens.

I wish you luck and am praying the strength of Esther on ya ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks this is really helpful because its Thursday and I'm going to ask out this really nice guy from my church on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

This is so helpful thank you so much! Girls can be just as strong as men and girls need to step in and take control as well. I love that story of Esther.