When It's This Bad, It's Time to Get Help

Dear Dee:
OK, I think I might have some type of mental illness. I'd actually be relieved if I did, because then maybe somebody could give me some pills to make me normal. I have these "mood swings", sometimes (most of the time) I'm so angry I can't imagine why someone would ever have so much hate in them, and other times, I just feel nothing at all.


My mother is an alcoholic and she abuses the hard prescription drugs, she lives with her brother who is a lazy pot smoker, but I only see her sometimes on the weekends. She's tried to kill herself before, I always feel like I'm the cause of this because my birth caused her to not be able to work. She's now depressed.

I usually live one week with my alcoholic dad and his stupid girlfriend and the next week with my "Ex-step-mom" by choice. I hate having to pack up and go to everybody's house, I feel like nothings stable. My dad and his girlfriend are major drinkers, in fact there out partying right now. I'm like a 14-year-old mother. I practically take care of my 6-year-old sister, she's so stressful and she cries a lot. I just don't know what to do anymore.

I'm not professionally qualified to give you advice on these items, other than to tell you it's time to get help. Please use the help and emergency hotlines to find some help. Really. It's important. Also, consider reaching out to a local church or organization for help. There is support for you out there -- reach out and find it.

You are not crazy. You're young, your overwhelmed and you're dealing with way more than anyone your age should ever have to deal with. Be strong. Know that it is not your fault and that you can get through it if you get help now. You and your sister deserve way more than you're currently being given.

No comments: