Final Countdown to Confront Crush

Dear Dee:
I'm a Freshman in high school and the end of the year is coming soon. I'm interested in this one boy but we don't know each other. I'm really shy when it comes to introducing myself to guys so I'm too scared to just go talk to him, plus he's a junior.

Normally I would get a friend who knew the guy to talk to him for me, but I don't think any of my close friends know him. I want him to come talk to me and he seems like he wants to because he looks at me a lot, but like me, he seems like he may be too shy. Any advice on how I can get him to talk to me or show him I want him to talk to me?


Well, this is the fun part, right?? Deciding who's gonna make the first move .... hum ...
Being a progressive woman, I totally vote for you making that move. Think of it this way: Are you going to look back all summer, and wonder what would've happened if you approached him? Are you going to regret not finding out the possibilities? My gut tells me you would and it would more than likely send you into a fun-sucking funk that'll kill your summer.

So, think small here. Just walk up to him. Don't expect him to fall on his knees and profess his love. Just start a conversation. Get to know him. Hey, you may find out he's way hot from afar, but not at all what you expected when you dig deep.

Also, I've talked about this before: It's way cool for a freshman to go out with a junior. And hey, if it can happen, more power to you. But be careful. Play it safe. Maybe this guy is way nice and wouldn't have a problem with dating a freshman. But conventional wisdom, and most teen TV dramas would tell you he's probably after 1 thing from a freshman and wouldn't take a relationship seriously.

I know it sucks to think about. But you have to consider it. Be smart. Be cool, but most of all, be careful. You've got a whole summer to have some fun -- don't start your summer off on the wrong foot if you end up getting the wrong vibe from this guy.

Good luck and please let me know what you decide!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

About dating the junior, I agree with Dee. People will tell you that the only reason juniors and seniors date freshman is to get that 'one thing'. But I promise you, not all guys are like that. I'm a freshman, too, and my first boyfriend was a junior. Off the bat he told me "I'm not after that 'one thing'. I would never do that to a girl that I respect. I hope you will believe me." We went out for two months and we never went further than second base; all we did was kiss. (Thank goodness!) Not all guys are pigs; you just have to find the right one.