She's Genius, but Stumped on Finding Friends

Dear Dee:
I'm 15 years old, And Already attending college. I have always been ahead of people my age intellectually. So I never had many friends. Or gone on many dates. Guys just don't like smart girls.

They like someone that makes them feel smart. Well here is the thing, Now that I'm in college I'm around people more my level. But I can't date guys here. They are all older than 18. Do you have any ideas?

You know, it's just not true -- guys do like smart girls. But in your case, I think you're probably intimidating to them because you are beyond smart -- sounds like you're a genius!

And congratulations to you for excelling and utilizing your exceptional abilities to advance so far above those your age. But with this gift, has obviously come some social shortfalls.

It's not appropriate at all for you to date someone at college, since you're still underage (and it would actually be illegal for them), but it is totally cool for you to want to date someone around your age.

I am not sure how you act around kids your age. But I would imagine, through no fault of your own, they are shy around you and don't quite know how to relate to you because of your intellect. So, you have to work a little harder than most kids to make those your age feel comfortable around you. Show them you're still a teenager with the same interests, etc but you just happen to be attending college.

It sucks the responsibility falls on you to make them understand you're 'normal' but it does. That's just how it works. And I promise you, if you really make the effort and fit in, they'll start to appreciate the reasons you do stand out and won't be threatened by them. Just put yourself out there. You may be knocked down a little and you may get hurt -- but that's what happens when you're trying to make friends and cultivating relationships.

And you will find a circle of friends who will accept and appreciate you. ... I mean really ... how cool is it, at 15, to have a friend who's 'in' with the college crowd! That's way way way hot.

Keep your head up. And while you probably already know this, you're destined for greatness. People aren't 'gifted' with your type of intelligence without a reason and a purpose. So soak it up. But don't forget to have some fun in the process.

No comments: