Karma: Rumor-Spreading Diva's Worst Enemy

Dear Dee:
What do I do? There are these girls at school who I used to hang out with, but they were just so close and cliquish, I decided to hang with other people.

Well, now these girls are gossipping about me. My friends tell me not to worry, but I do! So, my major question is, do I confront her? I don't want to look like a total weirdo, but I don't want to have to keep on feeling so stupid whenever she is near. What should I do?

I tend to agree with your friends: You should just let it go. Especially if the gossipping she is doing is about stupid, inconsequential things that don't mess with other people's opinion of you or your reputation.

But I also do understand just letting it roll is a lot easier said (typed) than done. We all gossip at one time or another. There's no way around it. It's a temptation few can really walk away from. But when that gossip is hurtful or disparaging, it shouldn't be tolerated. And confrontation is unavoidable.

Remember, confronting the person or people who are trash talking you is an art. Really, it is. Sometimes you can make it worse by saying the wrong thing or making a scene. So if you need to talk to these girls, take someone you trust with you for support. Practice what you're going to say and make sure you get it all out before you let these girls speak a word. Speak slowly, confidently and without emotion. Do the best you can to make it appear they haven't gotten under your skin with their lies -- do not use threats in your discussion. Just ask them to stop spreading rumors and walk away.

Will this work? Probably not. But they will think twice before spreading anymore big rumors -- especially because they know you have the guts to call them on it.

A bright spot is, karma is seriously a b****. Really. It comes around in ways you can't even imagine. The universe works wonders that way. So, if you can just stick it out, these girls will get theirs. And then, you can sit back and know justice has been served (and maybe even laugh a little ... )

No comments: