When Friendship Changes, But Only for One

Dear Dee:
OK, so I'm a 15-year-old, straight girl.


I recently started at an all girls high school, along with some girls from my old grammar school. One girl, with whom I have been friends with for a long time, has recently been acting weird around me, and has told several people she has feelings for me.

I don't know what to do because I really like her as a friend and we have a lot of fun together. But I don't want anything but a friendship. And the way she acts is different from how she used to.

She also has a girlfriend, but when she sees me with one of my friends, I can see she is jealous. I do feel bad, but I also just don't get it.

From the way you describe what's going on, I'd say you get it just fine. You know what's happening. And it seems you see the situation very clearly. I'd also wager you know what you have to do and just need me to confirm it for you. So here it is: You've got to talk to your friend. You owe it to her and you owe it to yourself. If your friendship means anything to you, then you must talk to her and get it out in the open -- let her know you are just interested in friendship.

Please don't put it off and let the situation get worse -- or worse yet, don't let it get to the point where you avoid her. If you were to do that, I promise you'll regret it later.

Hopefully, your friend and you are able to sit down, have an open conversation and resolve the anxiety you are feeling and the gently squash the feelings she might be developing.

No comments: