Being Overly Conscious About Weight

Dear Dee:
I am a sophomore and under 100 pounds (96-99 pounds- fluctuate). I sometimes feel like I'm fat.

I feel like if I get to 100, people are gonna start calling me fat. Even though they say I'm a stick or twig, it doesn't help make me feel skinny. Does this mean I have an eating disorder? I'm not bulimic because I don't throw up on purpose. It just happens when I get really nervous or excited. It also happens when I eat too much or when I don't eat enough.

I'm not really anorexic because I don't starve myself. I just eat when I'm hungry, which isn't a lot. How do I control being conscious about my weight?


I can't tell you if you have an eating disorder -- that's just something that's beyond my expertise.

What you should take to heart is what your doctor says. Does he/she tell you you're underweight or overweight? What does your doctor say is your ideal weight? This is who you should listen to. And if you haven't spoken to him or her about how you feel regarding eating, gaining weight and about your throwing up, then you need to immediately. Don't mess around with this. Your doctor can set your mind at ease about your weight and even give you a very specific diet that will help you stay on track with your weight while still gaining the proper nutrients your body needs to function and continue to grow. So please, ask your parents to make you an appointment. Please, do it now. There's no sense worrying about something when all you have to do is ask someone who can give you the answers you need.

And, at the very, very least, feel free to contact someone at
one of our hotlines.

No comments: