Odd & Proud's Mom Meets Her in Middle

This reader is referring to her original question "Odd and Proud of It."

Dear Dee:
I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your advice, and that I found it very helpful. I have been trying to be less judgmental and more open to the idea of others and my mother. I've managed to form a tenuous friendship with a girl in my class, and she is helping me understand the others in my class, as well as helping them to understand me.

I had a long talk with my mother, and it turns out that she was always an outsider when she was in school, and didn't want that to me as well. After numerous, tearful, hugs, we seemed to have made up, and we're both trying to work with each other. I am dressing more normally, and being civil with the people at church (even the ones who tell me I'm going to hell).

She is working at being more accepting of The Viking Hordes (what we have decided on calling my friends J ) She actually decided she approves of John, and has been attempting to play matchmaker between the two of us (embarrassing, but kind of cool, too).

Thank you, once again, and I hope this email finds you in good health.

This is so great! I am really psyched you're patching things up with your mom and even more thrilled she is trying to understand you. This rocks and speaks volumes about what kind of mother she is! So many parents don't take the time to really get to know their kids. YOU ARE SO SO SO LUCKY! I hope you know that. Be patient with her. She's trying and make sure you do your part to try to understand her.

This is so amazing. Congrats!

No comments: