Freaking Out About Friendship

Dear Dee:
Hey I kind of feel weird writing this but I've already talked to a lot of people and I just need lots of advice.

I live in Nevada and I'm going to college in January in Utah and all of my friends are still in high school. All of them including my ex boyfriend. but he's not just that, I've known him my whole life and he is my best friend.

We broke up because things were getting to physical and we just wanted to be best friends who casually date each other just to keep things safe. He says he really loves me and that he's in this for the long run. there's a bunch of girls who like him and I'm worried things are gonna happen while I'm gone. I'm afraid when I get home we won't be the same friends we are now and I don't know how to handle the situation.

If there's anything you can to to help that would be great. Thanks.


Hey, don't feel strange sending me an email! This is what I am here for and I am so happy you decided to ask me.

Honey, people change. Priorities change. Circumstances change. If you guys are just friends now, there is a good chance you'll go away, he'll find another girl. There's a good chance you'll find another guy. Maybe you'll find you don't have as much in common and while you two will remain friends, things are just different.

But there's also the possibility you two truly cherish each other as friends and value what you share. And not only are you true friends, but you're connected in a way that just will always bring you together through pretty much everything and anything that could happen. These true types of friendships are forever. And it sounds like he's being clear with you that he considers you to be this type of friend. So, I'd say you're pretty safe.

Go to college. Learn and live all you can. Cherish your old friends while making new ones. Don't stress about it and just see what happens. Keep in touch with him and go with the flow ... you'll learn A LOT About your relationship with him if you do this -- and your going away for awhile might just be what you two need to put your relationship in perspective.

GOOD LUCK and STUDY HARD!

No comments: