Should I Date the Guy Everyone Hates?

Dear Dee:
I have tried to get in contact with you several times to get an answer.

I am home schooled, so as you might guess, I don't have many chances to get asked out. But it does happen. I am on a swim team, and a guy I have always liked has asked me out. I've never been out on a date, my Mom says I can go. But my friends hate this guy. And my brother is like his mortal enemy. But he is sweet and funny (and cute.) My BF hates him, too. So as you might guess, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Can you help me?


Sorry I haven't been able to respond to other emails! As you now know, my site has moved so please tell your friends and pass it on.

OK. So the first thing I have to ask is: Is there something to the fact your BFF, your brother and your other friends DO NOT like this guy? Because seriously. Regardless of the fact that you want to go out on a date, you shouldn't go out with a jerk.

Normally, when someone tells me their friend doesn't like the guy they're dating I tell them that it doesn't matter ... as long as they like him and want to date him. But I can't help but think the fact that most of the people you hang with and trust have negative feelings for him for a good reason. So this totally raises major red flags for me.

And if the smart decision is to NOT go on this date, don't worry. There will be tons of other chances, regardless of your homeschooling situation. It'll happen when you least expect it and it'll be great. It's definitely worth the wait so don't go out, just to go out ... K?

2 comments:

Emily said...

Dee I wrote this question. And thank you so much. You were very right about this guy. And you saved me a lot of trouble. Now I'm dating a Kind, Smart, and funny guy, Plus I have never met anyone who has a bad word to say about him. (Except for the occasional he's to nice)

Anonymous said...

I have this same problem, but they only hate him beacuse my BFF does (he dumped her cause she's just an awful person in general and I don't blame him) and my brother is over protective. Do you have any advice for me as well?