He 'Kinda' Likes Her

Dear Dee:
First, BIG BIG BIG fan of the website, but also, I've got a huge-o problem.

I really like this guy. He's a junior, I'm a freshman girl. He found out I like him. He says he likes me kinda, but I'm too young.

We're both going on a school trip to Europe this summer and I want something to happen. Nothing serious, but at least a kiss. What should I do?


I totally get the allure of an older guy, but regardless of the fact that he says you're too young, he also only admitted to 'kinda' liking you. And I'd say that's flat out not good enough.

Why would you want to be with a guy who is only luke-warm in his feelings for you? No way! You deserve better and will find it. So, how about just letting this guy 'go his own way' as Gabriella would say (or sing) ... (yes, I have just watched HSM 2 for the 50th time).

But before I totally close on the subject, there really is something to the age thing. You're a freshman, he's a junior -- and within a year he'll be a senior and most likely 18 at that point. You probably already know it's illegal for an 18-year-old to date a minor -- but that's only a legal issue. I think the real problem comes in the difference in priorities. If you were a junior and he a senior, I'd say that's OK.

But a freshman and a junior have two different mindsets about a relationship. He's thinking of college, you're thinking driver's license. He's thinking future, you're trying to make it through the freshman year. And I hate to say it, but image-wise, dating a junior is GREAT for you, but him dating a freshman is not so cool ... Sorry I had to say it.

I am very sorry. But hey, you're going to Europe. And the guys there are amazing! So look around, enjoy ... and regardless of what John Girard in 'Talladaga Nights' says, I say the best three things that've come out of Europe are ... 'American Idol,' Daniel Radcliffe and Crepes (or if you don't know what crepes are, just say 'I love really thin pancakes ... if you don't get the joke, watch the movie!).

No comments: