Video Causes Premature Conclusions

Dear Dee:
I have a YouTube account and someone sent me of a video of girls kissing. Ever since then, I've been thinking I am a lesbian. But I still like guys so maybe bisexual.

If I told anyone in my class they would treat me as an out cast. There was a boy in my class who came out of the closet and no one treats him the same. Now I know how he feels. What should I do?


You are really jumping the gun here. Watching one video of two girls kissing and having a reaction to that doesn't make you gay. And deciding that you still like guys in the same breath, doesn't all of a sudden make you a bisexual person who needs to come out of the closet.

Just because I watch a movie about race cars and think about the movie quite a bit doesn't mean I am supposed to be a race car driver. That would be silly, right? And frankly, that same philosophy and attitude is how I see you've come to your conclusion -- without thought, any background reasoning or even any common sense.

Sorry, but it's true. The choices we make today define who we are and shape the people we're becoming. These types of choices take thought. Soul searching and deep, deep maturity and consideration. And you're not at that point yet.

So don't borrow trouble and don't jump to life-changing conclusions. Slow down. Take a deep breath and give yourself time.

No comments: