Free Education With Strings Attached

Dear Dee:
So I have this situation that I am in. Right now I am a freshman in college and I live with some friends in Illinois and am going to community college and actually doing pretty well.

I have a B average for the first time in a long time. But the problem is money (like always.) Now I have this option to go out to Utah and my family will help me with college, and help me get into a four-year university. I mean it seems great, but I'm finally happy with what I've got, Like the friends and situation. I kind of think it's bull they are only willing to help if I move there. But they have already told me that's the way it has to be if they are going to pay for it.

I mean it's a great idea because then I won't be stressing about my financial situation all the time, and all my friends say I should just do it because I won't get another chance like this. But if I go out there, I have to go for three years straight, No summer breaks or anything, meaning I could hardly, if ever, see my friends until I'm done getting my B.A. -- and even then I plan on doing more schooling.

Everyone tells me they will be here when I get back, but I don't want to miss out on everything for three years.


I totally get where you're coming from and I hear both sides of the argument regarding your family paying for school. I can understand why they want you to go to school in the same state they live in -- instate tuition is considerably lower than out of state. And, maybe they just want you close to home -- no fault in that.

Unfortunately, this money has some strings attached. And if you want to finish school without financial worries and school loans, then it most definitely is the way to go.

Would I do it? Yes ... and I actually did. My grandparents paid for me to go to college and they only had certain schools they'd pay for. For me, it didn't seem like their offer had conditions -- it was just how they preferred to spend their money. And hey, I respected that and appreciate their generosity even now (THANK YOU GRAMPS AND GRANNY!).

I know your friends are a huge consideration here for you. But you know, we all leave our friends sometimes. Our lives change, our situations change and our needs change. It's all part of growing up and adapting our lives to the situations we're dealing with. So while you're concerns and fears are valid, are they really realistic and important when faced with the opportunity of a free education and bettering yourself? Well, that's what you have to decide.

I hope I've explained this clearly in a way that makes it a little more black and white for you. Hey, please let me know what you decide, OK? I am most definitely interested.

3 comments:

Subvert said...

I understand that its a great idea and everything, and that its well worth it. and that friends come and go, but I hope these ones dont, and i feel as if I leave Im just giving into the saying, (sometimes Im really stubborn about these types of things) or giving up on it, and saying it would never work out anyway. Im thinking If I dont have my associates by when I should I might take the offer. But if all gose to schedual then I might just stay, and work my ass off at it.

Dear Dee said...

The choice is most definitely yours and you're the one who has to live with the decision. Just make sure you're making it with the right interests/motives in mind. Friends ARE important. But if there is any chance you'll look back in 20 years and wish you'd done differently, you should think it through some more. Best of Luck!

Subvert said...

Yeah I beleive thats what I am going to do, because Ive thought about it and true friends are hard to find and they have stuck with me even when they had no reason to and nothing to gain, and if it gets too hard I can see if I can take it later