Kicking a Slutty Wrap

Dear Dee:
Everybody at school thinks I'm a slut but I don't think I am one.

People just think that because a lot of guys like me. All of those people who are saying I'm a slut are spreading it all around school. So now I only have like six friends at school.


Do you have any tips to help me make them think I am not a slut?
Based on the info you've given me, I have no idea why your friends think this. And since I don't know a lot about you, I find this question really hard to answer without asking some offensive questions ... but I am going to do it. And I hope you'll just take what I say to heart if it applies ... and if it doesn't, that's even better (in this case, at least!)

One of two things is going on here: These people are just jealous of the attention you're getting from the guys who like you and they're spreading rumors. Or, they're reading something into something you're doing -- inadvertently maybe -- but it's sending off the vibe.

Could you possibly be dressing inappropriately? There is a difference between sexy and slutty. And at your age, the difference is a thin line. Anything too tight, too revealing or just too grown up looking could give the wrong impression. So look critically at your wardrobe.

Also, I am assuming since you're taking offense to what they're saying -- and a slut is a girl who sleeps around a lot -- that you're not doing that. GREAT! But make sure you don't have ex boyfriends who are spreading rumors just to get back at you for whatever reason. Ideally, it would be great to get that person to renounce their lies ... but that might be difficult.

You also said you think the kids are calling you a slut because a lot of guys like you. Well, are you dating a lot of guys? Even if you're not sleeping around, if you're kind of dating from guy to guy with no real 'break' in between, you're sending the wrong message. Slow down a little bit.

Are you overly flirty and HOW are you flirting? Are you inappropriate or maybe overly touchy? How do you act around guys?

Look, I've thrown out some hard hitting stuff here -- and some reasons why people might be thinking the way they're thinking. The bottom line is, some of this might apply and maybe none of it does. I just ask you to look at what you've got going on and see if there's actual adjustments you should make in your behavior. Because if there's reason behind the reputation, of course, you want to change it.

But maybe you're fine. And the only thing you've done to deserve this slanderous gossip is simply be a beautiful girl who guys happen to gravitate towards. And for that, I'm sorry. The jealous, petty girls spreading the rumors are shameful and very, very sad. And any of your friends who've deserted you because of this are just as pitiful as those spreading rumors.

All you can do is keep your head up and don't let them get to you. Be confident and walk tall and proud. Take solice in the fact their bitterness will make them get disgusting frown lines and wrinkles at an early age and their gossip will return to them one day, like 100 times worse ... because seriously, karma is a total B---- (I can't say it because my mom reads my site ... and a girl's never too old to get yelled at by her momma).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,

well i have read a ton of pages here in the last few hours, and this is great stuff! I am so glad your a christian and give your advice accordingly. Please don't lose faith, and continue what your doing here.

P.S. i can't deny that i was a lil bummed when i read the last sentence of this post including the part of karma.

interesting reads:
http://ryanbaltrip.wordpress.com/2008/09/04/is-karma-a-christian-idea/

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/evans/060109

P.P.S. i hope i don't come off as a judgemental offensive person. This website is a ministry(and an awesome one) as you yourself said. and when you say your a christian, people see you as an example and a role model(To whom much is given, much is required....Luke 12:48), and i would never want you to send out a message that is contradictory to your intended purpose of this site.

God bless!

-Your Sister in Christ