Walking Taller Among Clique-ish Schoolmates

Dear Dee:
I am 13 years old. I go to a private school, so I have a very small class.

There are 11 kids in my class, and there is only three other girls. the problem is, the girls are really cruel and make fun of me because of the way I dress and because of how short I am.

They also make fun of me because I hang out with guys more than I hang out with girls. I really hate that they make fun of me just because I hang out with guys. It's also stupid they do that because they hang out with, and are friends with, the exact same guys!

I don't know what to do, and I'm getting really stressed out. I'm hating school more than I did before. I have friends there, but most of them are 11th and 12th graders an a couple of 8th graders.


Hey, I went to private school, too and know exactly about the small classes, the gossip and the mean girls. I graduated with seven kids ... and my aunt actually was one of two in her graduating class!

What sucks about private school is that there usually is only one or two people who get picked on and EVERYONE picks on them ... vs. a big school, there are multiple people. So, I can definitely see how it can take its toll on you.

I know your cousin, who you say is going to the school too, has told you to ignore the girls and just do your own thing ... and I am going to offer you the same advice. See, most girls are nervous around guys -- and it doesn't sound like you are since the guys are your main friends. Girls are threatened by other girls who can connect with guys on a friendly level. So in a way, these girls are jealous of the relationship you have with these guys.

What you could do, is try to play it to your advantage ... like if you knew one of the girls liked one of the guys you hang with, you could kinda use your 'in' with the guy to help the girl out. But regardless of whether you do that or not, don't let these girls intimidate you. Continue to be yourself and be comfortable with who you are ... that's what matters.

Now regarding your height: You didn't ask directly, but I figured I'd give you a few tips on how to look a little taller. Of course there are heels, but there are also other things you can do. First off, wear clothes that fit you. Bagginess makes a shorter person look like the clothes are wearing them ... not the other way around. Stay away from thick, bulky belts. Stick to thin belts. Also, wearing the same color on top and bottom increases the appearance of height.

Lastly, make sure to walk straight and sit up straight. Posture is key to making yourself appear taller.

Hope all this helps!

No comments: