Trying to Salvage a Friendship

Dear Dee:
During grade school I had a huge crush on this guy. We were friends. Not great friends, but friends nonetheless. At my eighth grade graduation a friend of mine told him how I felt about him.

Since then, everything has been very awkward. We are now 16 and both go to different high schools but we see each other fairly often. However, when I see him he barely says two words to me and when I try to have a friendly, normal conversation he avoids it. I've gotten over him. I'd like for us to be able to move on and be the friends we once were, again. What should I do?


You've done all you can in trying to keep this relationship going. You've attempted to talk to him, tried to break the awkwardness between you from years past, but he's not making an effort. Who knows why, but right now it doesn't seem like he's interested in keeping up your friendship.

Maybe he'll come around if you back off for awhile and let him figure out what he wants. And if he doesn't, you're totally better off without him as a friend -- because he obviously doesn't appreciate the awesomeness that is you. So chalk this one up to having given it your best shot, but cut your losses.

No comments: