13 & Already In Danger

Dear Dee:
I am 13 years old and last month I slept with this guy. The only reason I slept with this loser was because I was totally high and wasted out of my mind. Now I am pregnant with his kid!

Do I get an abortion, put the kid up for adoption or do I just keep the thing? Well let me know what to do because I haven't told my parents yet.

They still think I leave the house with pants, a cardigan and a pink bow in my hair. Haha yeah, right. Little do they know I change down the street into my mini skirt and tank top.

The other thing is that my boyfriend will kill me! He is 19 and says I am the only one for him! I really don't want to loose him!


OK. For someone who thinks so supremely highly of herself (you signed your email ‘the hottest girl ever') you sure have a funny way of showing it ... doing drugs, drinking and sleeping with random guys ... all at 13. Smart sweetie. Really, really smart.

You're totally cavalier attitude about the situation YOU have gotten yourself in just shows you have no idea of the seriousness of your actions and how they affect your future -- who you will become and what you can do with your life.

Your life is precious. You are an important person and you need to start treating yourself like it by respecting your body, your mind and your potential.

In this email alone, you've identified seven things that are sure signs you are on the wrong path:
-- You slept with a random guy you don't really like
-- You didn't use protection
-- You are now pregnant
-- You deceive your parents regularly
-- You're dating someone who is 19, and that's illegal
-- You're sleeping with the 19-year-old (which is a criminal action on his part)
-- You do drugs and drink.
-- You're 13 and totally, totally ruining your life.

Is this how you want to be defined? Is this how you want to ruin your life? It is a terrible, terrible waste and it saddens me. I know you have potential. I know you can turn this around. You've just got to make the decision to do it and realize you ARE worth something. YOU are important to this world and will be a valuable asset to it if you straighten yourself out. Please! Get help right away and make the choice to clean yourself up. Of course, I don't know what your exact home situation is and all that, but I do know you can rise above anything that's put in front of you -- you just have to be strong and choose to do so.

I can't tell you what to do with your baby. That's not my decision. You need to wise up and consider the consequences of all your options. DO NOT make any decision lightly. Really make sure you understand what is happening and know your decisions are final and you'll have to live with them for the rest of your life.

Talk to your parents. Depend on your parents. LISTEN to your parents. The time for fooling them is over. It's time to get serious help and you need them right now.

Find a mentor you can trust. Someone you can be accountable to for strong advice and someone who will set you straight when you start veering off the straight and narrow.

And lastly, dump that boyfriend. That's just wrong and you know it (and I bet your parents don't). YOU are worth much, much more. So live up to your nickname. And know that being the ‘hottest girl ever' is more than just looks. It's attitude, confidence, respect in yourself and smarts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a comment to the girl that wrote this message. I'm the exact same age, but I can't relate to this in any way. First of all, what Dee said about the mentor..There's this site you can go to. It gives you a phone number to talk to someone that will keep it confidential. I've never tried it, but I can still recommend it, right? The site is http://www.covenanthouse.org/nineline/index.html
You can call any time of the day, and someone will be there to talk to you. They listen, and if you want it, they'll give advice. It even states, when you're ready, call. Considering I've never tried it, I don't know how it works. I would try it.