They Think He's Just a 'Friend'

Dear Dee:
My boyfriend is 18 and I am just 16. I am a freshman (was held back in the 6th grade due to being suspended so much ... I was stupid) & he is a senior.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 3 months now and my parents think that he is just a friend. When they first met him, they thought he was a good guy but told me he was too old for me. We go out and have fun and my parents are fine with that.

But now they gotten a call from my principal saying my boyfriend and I both are in detention for PDA. They are furious. I told them the principal must have me confused with some one else. I don't think they believe me.

Should I tell them what's really been going on? Or should I stay in the shadows where my boyfriend and I can be together?


All you're doing by lying to your parents is showing them you haven't learned anything from your past mistakes AND you're not worth trusting.

You really don't want that. You need to start again with a clean slate and show your parents you're responsible and are really trying to get your act together. So far, you're not demonstrating this.

Since your boyfriend is legally an adult and you're still a minor, you two are breaking the law by being together. And if your parents wanted to, they could push the issue. But since you already know they like him to some extent, I think if you're honest with them and you really show them you want their trust and support, they'll give it to you! You've just got to show them you deserve it.

Stop the lying and stop sneaking around. Regardless of whether you think so or not, obeying your parents is the right thing to do. And if you honor that and respect it, then they'll ease up. But until you prove you can handle it, they won't.

So go talk to your parents. Take the heat for the lie you've told and suck up the punishment. Then start over again with a clean slate and show them you are able to handle more privileges and responsibility.

No comments: