Friend's Idea of 'Friend' Is a Little Off

Dear Dee:
My friend is treating me like crap. She sent my best friend a death threat. We think she is mentally unstable and we have told the counselor at our school, but the counselor is doing nothing about it, and things are getting worse.

All my other friends hate this one friend because she really acts like a witch. Now they don't want to be my friend! I don't know what to do because now I only have my best friend to comfort me.

I need you to help.


It really does sound like this one friend is a little off -- at least in her way of trying to make/keep friends. You and your other friends should steer clear of her and try not to interact with her unless it's 100 percent necessary.

While she more than likely doesn't mean anything by the threat, you can never be too careful, and it's important for you not to provoke any more hostility out of her. Make sure you've told an adult you trust about the threat and ask them to look into it. You, on the other hand, should keep your distance. It's really admirable of you to try to keep the friendship with her, but if she's treating you badly and acting mean and threatening your friends, it doesn't seem worth it. Actually, your pulling away may just be the wakeup call she needs to straighten up. We can sure hope that'll be the case, but if not it is still the right thing to do.

Where your other friends are concerned, it's important to let them know you were just trying to give this other girl a chance -- a chance to get it together and contribute to a friendship. They should understand and admire that. And if they don't, don't discount the fact you say you only have one friend. This person has stood by you and has been comfort to you (as you said above). That's more valuable than 100 lukewarm, part-time friendships.

No comments: