He Likes Me, But Chose a Popular

Dear Dee:
I've liked a guy for about three years. He's one of the popular guys and I am not really a part of that crowd. I'm kind of in the middle between the populars and the geeks.

At one point in time we liked each other a lot. We would flirt all the time and we were getting to the point where I thought we would date.But a week later I heard he asked another girl out. I was CRUSHED I couldn't believe it. Now he's been going out with her for about a year, and there isn't a single sign of them breaking up.

But even if they did, he has turned into a total jerk! My friends tell me, "Hey you could whip him back into his old self" and stuff like that ... I know I could, but the reason why he didn't go out with me, i believe, is because I'm not popular.

I'm totally stuck on him and I see him all the time. How should I get over this looming crush?


It is really difficult when you find out someone you care about is not exactly who you thought they were. It sounds like you and this guy had a great friendship going and were really heading down the path of being a couple. The problem is, he's obviously more concerned about his image than his feelings.

Honey, he decided to NOT go out with you because you're not in the popular crowd. This reason alone should be enough to help you get over the heartache of seeing him with another girl. In my mind, he and his superficial girlfriend (which is what you called her) deserve each other. They are more into appearances than real feelings and meaningful relationships. Count yourself lucky that you didn't get even more involved with this guy before making the shallow shell discovery.

Take to heart the choice he made. He chose her over you. He chose the popular Barbie over the substance, style and beauty of you. Poor guy. He sure doesn't know what he's missing.

No comments: