Too Young to Move In?

Dear Dee:
I'm 15 and my boyfriend is 18. He has a job as a tattoo artist. He's asked me to move in with him. I don't think I am ready to do that. I am not in school but I love him and I don't know how to tell him. My mom is not here anymore, so that's why I need advice.

You're way too young to move in with an 18-year-old tattoo artist. You need to get yourself back into school, finish up and do the best you can to do things the right way. If he really loves you, he'll understand and respect this.

You're too young to turn into a little house ‘wife,' and thinking about a relationship this serious is shouldn't be entering your mind right now. You've still got so much growing up to do and so many things to experience.

Honey, I am sorry your momma isn't around to help you and guide you. So in this area, right now, I take it upon myself to let you know you are special and you have tons of potential -- you just have to believe that. I can't imagine your purpose in life is to settle down at 15, without a high school degree and without a real future. I understand life is hard and you have obstacles to overcome. But fight for it. Fight for what you want in your life and what you want to do with it. You can do it! You really, really can. And I know that's what your momma would tell you.

I have nothing, absolutely nothing, against tattoo artists (heck, I have three tattoos!), but he is 18. He is an adult. And technically, it is illegal for him to even be dating you -- let alone for the two of you to be living together.

Use the time until you're of legal age to experience some other things, and figure out what you want to do after high school, whether it's college, trade school or something else. The important thing is to finish school. Don't give up on it. Even if your grades were horrible or you have other weird circumstances which made you leave -- get yourself back in there any way you can. Seriously. PLEASE!

And if this guy is the right one for you, he'll wait and he'll understand. And he'll realize this is what's best for you, and that this is the only way the two of you will have a real chance at a future.

No comments: