I Want To, But the Consequences...

Dear Dee:
I'm 17. I'm thinking about joining the Air Force or Navy. But the thought of being away from my friends and family and maybe even something happening to me, intimidates me. Can you tell me if I'm just being too soft or ... I don't know. Could you give me some advice?


If you weren't thinking about how you'd feel leaving your friends and family or even about more dire consequences, then there would be a problem.

You're not soft. You're not a coward. You're not in any way a lesser man because you're thinking through every scenario before making your choice. So don't even think like that anymore. You are wise to come to grips with the reality of being in the military in today's climate. You're smart to look at it from every possible scenario and to inform yourself to the best of your ability what will and might happen and what you will feel.

What you are considering is dangerous. What you're considering is important, brave, brilliant and scary. Scary in that there are real threats out there you'll come into contact with. Scary in that you could be tasked to fight for our country. Scary in that you may not come home.

Whatever you decide, you can be confident in knowing your decision was well-thought-out and weighed. And you can live with it having no regrets. And that's what's important. So take all the time you need and think through everything. Your friends and family will support you in whatever you choose.

No comments: