We Need Cleaning Tips!!

Dear Dee:
I'm only 14 years old and I live alone with my brother because my parents died. Our house is really too big for two people. Do you have any tips to keep it clean?

Ugh. Cleaning tips ... well, this is probably a question more suitable for someone like 'Dear Abby' or 'Heloise.' You can even try 'The Accidental Housewife' for some great tips! But hey, far be it from me to turn down a chance to make a top 10 list ... so behold ...

Dee's Top 10 Cleaning Tips ...
10. Keep clutter to a minimum. How? Identify clutter as any 'stack' in the house that is over 3 inches high.
9. After you use a dish, immediately rinse it off and put it in the dishwasher. If you ARE the dish washer, wash it immediately.
8. Trash is trash. Don't put it on the counter. This includes paper plates, (why put them on the counter when you're done? Throw the DARN THINGS AWAY!) candy wrappers and Diet Coke cans. (Um, I kinda need to take that one to heart).
7. When there are enough clothes for a complete laundry load, just do it. Don't let it pile up. (Oh, and my momma will appreciate me saying ... please sort the laundry. A person should not wash jeans with whites).
6. When you get up in the morning, make your bed and hang up your towel after your shower.
5. Fold laundry while you're watching your favorite TV show!
4. When your house seems to be dirty, dirty, dirty, vacuum ... a clean floor always makes a room look cleaner.
3. Believe in Scrubbing Bubbles ... while they don't really talk (like they show on TV) they sure do make things sparkle.
2. Always eat at your dining room table. Seriously ... eating in other rooms in the house just makes things dirtier -- spots on the furniture, dishes everywhere ... (My mom will be so proud I said that.)
1. Stay on top of it. If you don't, cleaning a house begins to overwhelm. If you do a little each day, this won't happen.

Oh, here's an extra tip for you -- tell your bro to improve his aim. This, I guarantee will keep the bathroom much cleaner. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your absolutely right, my dear daughter, I'm very proud that you mentioned, not eating in the living room and after 20 years of telling you to sort the laundry, give me a high five! Good job! Love you lots and lots!! Mom

Randy Stimpson said...

If you are waiting for something to cook in the microwave, empty the dishwasher or do something else productive in the kitchen.