My 'Blockbuster' Romance

Dear Dee:
There's this guy who works at my local Blockbuster and I really like him. But both of us are really shy.

Also both my mom and my friend seem to think he is interested in me too, but I'm not so sure. I would like to start a conversation with him, but I get too nervous. Any ideas on how I can get to know him better, because I know I'll have to talk first.


So I was in a situation like this once. And it was with this guy at the Post Office -- seriously! I would go to the Post Office and mail stuff a few times a day. It actually got pretty ridiculous. So one day, I literally called up the PO, asked for him and just asked if he'd like to go to a movie.

In your situation, you've got it easy because he could actually bring a movie over -- FOR FREE and NO LATE FEES! Oh gosh. So sorry about the stupid joke. I am totally rolling my eyes at myself. Sorry.

Anyway ... you've already made some sort of connection if he's giving your mom and your friend the impression he likes you. So just go with it! You've got like a zillion conversation starters right in front of you when you go to pick out a movie. Ask him for suggestions -- ask him what his favorite is, rent it and ask him to come over to watch it with you.


Use your surroundings to your advantage. Hey, he works at a Blockbuster -- he has to help you with movie suggestions and he has to help you find flicks you want. Get him to show you a new release WAY in the back of the store and then go for it! Just ask him.

I know you're both shy, but you've already admitted you're willing and poised to make the first move. So now you've just got to find the right time. You'll know when that time comes and instead of thinking about it, just do it.

Don't let the shyness take over. Swallow, take a deep breath and before grabbing the last copy of 'The Holiday' from him, ask! (There's a GREAT Blockbuster store scene in that movie between Jack Black and Kate Winslet ... love it!) And, if you don't get up the courage, go ahead and rent 'the Holiday' anyway ... because it's really cute and is all about girls with 'gumption.' ... (you'll get it after you rent it and watch it.)

No comments: