My Best Friend Was Killed

Dear Dee:
My best friend was just killed in a car accident. Is it OK to feel sad, angry, and sorry all at the same time? I don't know what to do to make the pain go away.


It is most definitely OK to experience all of those emotions at the same time. In fact, you will most likely experience many more emotions before you can move on and accept what has happened.

I won't lie. The pain never goes away entirely. It just deadens a little. But it is important for you to know that you have to experience the pain and work through it in order to be able to accept what's happened and move on. And as you do this, one day you will realize the tinge and sting is still there, but it is bearable.


This person was an important part of your life -- someone you counted on and who helped you through countless situations. Talk about your friend. Laugh at the fun times you shared. Remember your friend's advice, comforting manner and even a few of his/her horrible jokes! Don't let the memories and the impact he/she had on your life fade. Treasure it. Remember it and honor it.

I am desperately sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have had the same experience, only twice over. Both of them were friends of mine. One killed himself and the other got into a car with someone who had been drinking. The thing that hurt me most about the one who died in the car crash is that everyone else survived: She didn't because she didn't wear her seat belt. I feel the same exact thing about both of them; I miss them more mow that they are gone and I feel as if I didn't appreciate every moment I had with them the way I should have.