Secretly Crushing on My Secret Friend

Dear Dee:
I'm 13 and I'm confused about a boy. I've known him since 6th grade and although we talk a lot, I think we both try to hide the fact that we're friends.

My BFF always makes fun of him, but I can't get out of my head the fact that I like him more than a friend. He always makes me smile! I don't know what to do! Help me please!


You need to stand up to your friend and tell her to stop making fun of this guy. If you have feelings for him, friendship or otherwise, you shouldn't let others tear him down. It's wrong. And you standing by, letting it happen when you consider yourself HIS friend, makes you a totally in the wrong. So, while it's extremely difficult, you've got to stand up for your friends -- especially ones you think you might want to date.

If your BFF is a true friend, she'll only have to be told once to stop making fun of him. And she'll accept him as your friend. Who knows -- maybe she'll even decide she wants to be his friend, too!

You don't have to rush into making the decision on whether to take your friendship with this guy to the next level. You both have plenty of time and first need to realize you have to be comfortable with each other, your friendship and letting others know about it before you can actually 'date.' Seems you both need to grow up a little on this front and get comfortable with each other.


Oh yeah, and one more thing ... how about not seriously giving a RIP about what anyone else says about you and this guy being friends ... and being your own person ... the kind who likes who she likes without apologies ... it's just a thought.

No comments: