She's Taken, Now I Am Toast

Dear Dee:
There is this girl I like but she is going out with someone else. I thought she liked me, so I said I liked her in front of her boyfriend. Now he is going to kick my butt. What should I do?


Dude, you have ... guts. Major, major guts. And while I admire you taking matters into your own hands and going after what you want, I do question the smarts behind your action. Did you actually think the girl's boyfriend WOULD let you get away with that?

Also, did you stop to consider how you would feel if, out of the blue, a guy came up to you and your girlfriend and did the same thing? Yeah. Didn't think so.

Well, short of running, I don't know what you can do here. I'd avoid the guy like the plague; try not to provoke him any further and more or less maintain a pretty low profile where he and his girl are concerned. If you can, apologize and tell him you were ... um ... feverishly sick or something. (Aren't there some weird bees that sting people and make them say/do really, really stupid things? Yeah. That's it.)

The thing is, regardless of whether you have feelings for this girl or not, you should've respected the fact she's dating another guy. Just as you'd want someone from the outside to respect a relationship you were in, you should've respected theirs and NOT made a move on this guy's girlfriend.

So consider yourself scolded. Hey, maybe if you told this guy I already went off on you and you feel like you've learned your lesson, he'd leave you alone. After all, I can pack a pretty powerful punch through the written word. (See, don't you feel bad about what you did?)

Anyway, stay safe. And don't fight!

No comments: