Should I Break Up .. & How Do I Do It?

Dear Dee:
I'm going out with a guy and I liked him when we were just friends. But now I'm not so sure.

I'm also afraid he might like me more than I like him. He's my first boyfriend and I'm not sure how to break up with him, or if I should break up with him for that matter. Can you help me?


If you're really not quite sure you like this guy enough for him to continue to be your boyfriend, then instead of sitting on the fence about it, you should cut him loose. It's never fair to string someone along when you're not really feelin' the relationship. It's easier to end it now before feelings grow stronger. There might even be a chance you could still salvage your friendship.

There's no perfect way to break up. More than likely someone is going to get hurt. So just be as honest as you can be and as gentle as you can. But make sure you are clear about the fact you're breaking up. If you really want to end the relationship, you have to word it so there are no questions. There's nothing worse than a wishy-washy breakup that leaves someone with the hope of a reconciliation -- if there really isn't a hope.

So kindness is key, honesty is a must and being precise will ensure you set the right expectation about the breakup. Yes, breaking up with someone for the very first time is really hard -- but trust me ... it really never gets any easier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that she should break up with him or any one for that matter should speak their mind freely. If no one had done that in however many years the human race has been on planet earth and no one spoke their mind we would still be under the british's power. If no one ever spoke their mind the would keep doing the things they have done for centuries. We'd have to wear all those layers of clothes and all that stuff. I mean face it if NO ONE spoke up or did anything our whole lives would be planned out for our entire life, that means not being able to choose who you date, marry or anything in that matter. So go ahead break up with him it's not worth the pain later in life to him because face it if you tell him you don't like him after say 5 years. And it's 5 years AFTER you stopped likeing him then what do you think it would feel like. It's gonna hurt less now then it will in 5 years.