I'm the Last One Leaving the Nest

Dear Dee:
My parents still treat me like I'm a two-year-old. I can't stand it. But I don't want to make them sad because I'm their last baby. What should I do?

I feel your pain here, not because I was the youngest, too, but because I am the oldest and still watch my parents baby my 17-year-old brother. I'm kinda jealous sometimes! But, seeing it is kinda difficult to be the baby, maybe I should rethink that ...

Right now, your parents babying you is cramping your style. It prohibits you from doing some things you probably should be able to do and it more than likely makes you feel like THEY think YOU'RE helpless.

Here's the deal, though. You're the last one. And when you start doing things for yourself, it's kind of means your parents are, well, done with being full-time parents. Their lives change and they have to begin a new stage in their lives. They go from being the shapers of who you are, to the supporters of who've you've become and what you are accomplishing.

You need to talk to them about the babying thing. But you should do this with a good attitude and in the spirit of gratefulness for what they've done and taught you. Let them know you can handle more things on your own and take on more responsibility because THEY have taught you what it means to be a good, responsible person. More than likely, the change won't happen all at once, but if you're patient with them and show them the respect they deserve as parents, they'll start easing up. And it won't make them sad to do so. Instead they'll be proud to watch what you've become.


No comments: