Parents Walked In & Got an Eye Full

Dear Dee:
My mom and my step dad caught me giving my girlfriend oral sex. I am only 16 and I know I screwed up big time.

My mom, my girlfriend and I all have sat down and talked about it, but where do I take matters now? There is a lingering awkwardness between me and my family and I and I’m just not sure what to do. I feel like my life is spinning out of control. I have let down everyone that trusted me and even God. I feel so ashamed and dirty.


I’m not gonna lie – this isn’t one of those things you and your parents will laugh about years from now.

And while the embarrassment and awkwardness you’re feeling is absolutely thick, maybe this is the kick in the ass you need to get back on track!

You feel you’ve let people down and that you’ve let God down. Well, it has been my experience that making things right with HIM can help take care of all the other things. So … take a knee.

Luckily we serve a God who is willing and able to forgive us when we recognize we’ve screwed up. So ask for forgiveness! It’s that easy. And this spinning-out-of-control thing? Hand it over to Him. God will turn that dizzying spin into a ride that is secure in the fact that HE is in control.

Next? Talk to your parents. Tell them how important it is to you to earn their trust back and how you know what you did was wrong and inappropriate. Also let them know that you’ve handed the situation over to the Lord.

Lastly, I’d encourage you to talk to your girlfriend. You both are to blame for what happened and how you feel about it now. So you two should discuss what the next steps are in your relationship. How do you move on from this? Where does your relationship stand? And most importantly, how you move your relationship into a place where it not only progresses, but honors God. This is what will be the most difficult. But it will be worth it.

No comments: