Sick of Being Popular

Dear Dee:
I am a Freshman in high school and I am popular. I know what you are saying "What could be wrong?" However, I hate it. It was fine in middle school because I was able to stand up for myself but now all people do is talk about us and call us stuck up. I do not want to be popular. I want to be normal or nerdy if I have to, but if I do my friends will think it is because of them.

You've proven two things with your question: 1. No one is EVER happy with who they are and where they are in life and 2. Even the popular kids have something or someone to envy. Thanks for proving that populars are humans, too.

I don't think you can magically snap your fingers and become a nerd or just all of a sudden 'not' be popular. So instead of trying to be something you're not (nerd, geek, or some other social class) use your popularity to do good things and to change stereotypes around your school.

Show others you're not stuck up and that you're approachable. Show them you're not one of those plastic populars who loves the attention but can't bother to talk to the 'little people.' Show your schoolmates you're popular because you're a kind person who loves to help others and make friends from all different groups and cliques. Show everyone you're not just popular because you're popular ... you're popular because you deserve it.

Remember: Popularity is power ... Use it for good.

No comments: