Don't Have Courage to Talk to Guys

Dear Dee:
Of course,I have a problem too. First, here's a big hug to give you a strength to solve my problem. Sorry, I'm from Europe and I don't speak English that well.

I have problems approaching guys. I'm pretty and all, but some guys just aren't the type to walk up to a girl and I just don't know how to go up to them. I'm asking for information on how to approach a guy at the movies, school -- anywhere and everywhere!

I send to you a kiss, hug and a smile.


This is really, really exciting! An international reader! Thank you so much for taking the time to read 'Dear Dee' and to write a question.

I also greatly appreciate the hugs, the smiles and the kisses. It definitely helps me do my job better when I know I am loved and appreciated!

About your problem -- being shy isn't really a problem. It is a matter of self-esteem and confidence. You said yourself you think you're pretty so there is already a bit of confidence there, you just have to expand on it.

You don't have to be 100 percent fear-free to go up and approach a guy. In fact, being a little freaked out by the idea is what will help you get through it. Let the adrenalin you feel and the nervousness give you the strength to get up the courage to do it. Remember, even if you're not 100 percent comfortable talking to guys, the idea is to LOOK comfortable.

To approach a guy, you don't have to have an earth shattering conversation topic in mind. Just talk about what you know -- if it's a guy in one of your classes, talk about the homework, or casually 'forget' to write the assignment down -- then ask him for it. Every word you speak to him is a start and will make it easier the next time you 'need some help in class.'

Hey, it all starts out with a bold step towards the guy, then a simple word --
'hi.' Maybe think of a topic, but don't map out your conversation. You'll just get frustrated when you can't remember what you practiced. You can do this. You're brave enough, you're smart enough and you most definitely can muster up the confidence. Just do it.

And please get back to me on how it goes, OK?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

totally true works great my friend tried that and they have been going out for 6 months now!

Anonymous said...

That's really good advice... I'm gonna use it, thoug it terrifies me.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem, but I'm going to try this tomorrow! xD

Anonymous said...

I want to try this tommorrow.

Anonymous said...

I want to try this tommorrow

Anonymous said...

i shall try this tomorrow. i think he likes me, too... but he's shy. or so im told.

Anonymous said...

Here goes nothin' xD Im so scared!!

Anonymous said...

It's always so awkward! Whyyyy!!!! Oh well, here I go!

Anonymous said...

Gah im so nervous!! But elenor rosevelt said do something everyday that scares u....this sure freaks me out! Thanks for the great advice! Start out small and work from there :)

Anonymous said...

Ok i am going to start talking to this guy and hopefully ask him to prom in a few weeks. :)